It’s been a while since I’ve done a new taco recipe (see Ground Turkey Tacos and Taco Pie for other ideas), and I was looking for a way to use up some extra chicken breast, and this worked out because I used ingredients that I already had on hand. Instead of making hard tacos with the tortillas though, I found an easy way on Serious Eats (as usual) to warm up corn tortillas for soft tacos.
I wanted to soften up the beans and I was thinking about something close to what you get when you order a side of rice and beans. There’s nothing too fancy about this – I chopped up some garlic and cooked them for a few minutes until fragrant and dumped in a can of black beans. Everything cooked until the beans were soft (just cook them until you get to the texture that you like).
You can cook the chicken any way that you’re comfortable with – I used sous vide (150°F for 1 hour), but you can poach it, bake it, etc. until it’s cooked through. There’s probably a “best” way, but I would just do whatever way is easiest for you. After the water bath, I shredded it and then seasoned it with taco seasoning (I have a stash of homemade taco seasoning: chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, ground cumin, salt, cayenne).
I assembled the tacos with chicken first, then scooped on the beans, topped with a mixture of avocado, corn, jalapeño, and a splash of lime juice, sprinkled a little bit of shredded cheese, and garnished with a thin slice of radish.
Servings: 2 (easily scaled up to 4, or make for 4 and have 2 taco nights!)
- 1/2 lb chicken breast
- Taco seasoning, to taste
- 1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 can black beans
- 1/2 jalapeño, diced
- 1/2 avocado
- 4 corn tortillas
- To top/garnish: shredded cheese, thinly sliced radish
- Cook chicken based on your preferred method (poached, sous vide etc.) and shred
- Toss garlic into a pot and cook until fragrant, then add beans, including the liquid and cook until soft
- Mash avocado and mix in corn and jalapeño and a splash of lime juice to taste
- Sprinkle taco seasoning over shredded chicken and re-warm on stove, stirring occasionally until seasoning has been incorporated. If chicken juices aren’t enough to mix up the seasoning, add a little bit of water
- Warm up tortillas by dipping in water and heating in a hot pan, flipping occasionally to prevent burning. Keep warm by stacking them and covering with a towel while you warm the next one up
- Assemble tacos by placing a quarter of the chicken and black beans down the center in line of each taco. Top with avocado and corn mixture. Garnish with shredded cheese and radish slice
- Nom nom nom!
Estimated Nutritional Information (per serving): 511 calories; 13.2g fat; 85mg cholesterol; 507mg sodium; 284.2mg potassium; 55.5g carbs; 41g protein