This meal got added to the menu because my husband requested it, so now I make it every few weeks. It’s pretty easy to make and you get a healthy dose of vegetables with it so I don’t have to think about making an extra side of veggies. When you google “chicken a la king,” the internet returns quite the wide variety of recipes, so I don’t have a clue if this is authentic or real chicken a la king, but it’s now my version of it. I’m sure this isn’t as good as his mom used to make him, but I guess he’ll just have to make do.
Chicken a la King
I use a food scale to measure the amount of chicken and then chop it up. While that’s cooking, I dice up the bell pepper. I actually buy my mushrooms pre-sliced because they’re the same price per ounce as whole mushrooms and I don’t like the stems as much anyway.
In one pan, cook the chicken until the pieces are cooked through. Set aside.
Saute the bell peppers and mushrooms for a few minutes until cooked. Toss in the flour and season with salt and pepper. Mix everything together until the vegetables are coated and the mixture starts to bubble. Turn the heat to low.
If you’ve read some of my earlier posts, you’ll note that I often use 8 oz of chicken broth because I buy them in individual 8 oz containers and don’t like to have leftovers. That way I don’t have to search for another dish that needs the exact right amount of chicken broth to finish the container before it goes bad. It’s usually not an issue because, like with this dish, you end up simmering the broth down until its thickened up.
Anyway…add the chicken broth and bring it to a boil. Then reduce the heat and let it simmer until the sauce thickens up.
I usually take the simmering time to start cleaning up and washing the dishes since there isn’t really any other steps afterwards except to plate the meals. Also, if I don’t, the dirty dishes end up piled in the sink until my husband gets annoyed with them and washes them, which doesn’t take long and really is probably a better option now that I think about it.
Once at your desired thickness, stir in the chicken pieces and the pimento peppers. Top with red pepper flakes.
Chicken a la King
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into chunks
- Salt and pepper
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 8 oz chicken broth
- Red pepper flakes
- You can also add other veggies like green beans and peas
- Optional: rice, egg noodles, pasta
- Cook chicken breast pieces in skillet
- Heat olive oil in a separate skillet (or same one if you remove the chicken)
- Add mushrooms and bell pepper pieces and a few minutes until soft
- Add flour, salt, and pepper and stir around to coat. Reduce heat to low.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer until sauce thickens
- Add chicken and red pepper flakes and stir
- Serve over rice, egg noodles, or your favorite pasta
- Nom nom nom!
Estimated Nutritional Information (per serving, without rice/pasta): 366 calories; 18.6g fat; 127.2mg cholesterol; 351.6mg sodium; 260.9mg potassium; 10.7g carbs; 40.9g protein