This concludes the trifecta of recent taco posts to accompany Ground Turkey Tacos and Migas Breakfast Tacos, but I’m sure there will be more to come when I buy another huge pack of tortillas. This isn’t too different from the tacos, but gives it a fun twist and also requires less effort since I don’t have to fashion up the taco shells. Although it also means I don’t get to use my nifty taco holders.
The filling can be whatever you like – I used ground turkey, onions, scallions, and black beans. Everything gets pre-cooked before assembly so that putting it in the oven is just to warm everything up and meld the flavors together.
The assembly is just layers of filling and tortillas, so it’s just like one giant layered taco with tomato sauce. The tortillas of course don’t fit perfectly in the pan, so the three tortillas overlap, but using two didn’t seem like enough tortilla coverage.
I had asked my husband to finish the dish because I had to be somewhere and ran out of time. He told me when I got home that it seemed like it needed more cheese, so he added some. I later found the empty bag of cheese in the trashcan meaning he added a lot more than “some.” It was a brilliant idea, but may have teetered away from the “healthy” angle with all of that extra cheese. The recipe in this post includes the intended amount of cheese, not the husband-added amount.
- 6 corn tortillas
- 20 oz ground turkey (1 package from grocery store)
- 1/2 cup onion
- 4 oz. black beans
- 1 ear corn, kernels removed
- 1/2 cup scallions
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup Mexican shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Cook ground turkey, onion, corn, scallions, and black beans
- Layer a little less than half of the filling and tomato sauce
- Line bottom of round pan with 3 tortillas (they will overlap)
- Layer with a little less than half of the filling and tomato sauce
- Arrange the other 3 tortillas for another layer
- Top with the remaining filling, tomato sauce, and cheese
- Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes until cheese is melted
- You can probably top with sour cream if you’d like
- Nom nom nom!
Estimated Nutritional Information (per serving): 374 calories; 15.6g fat; 112.5mg cholesterol; 494.5mg sodim; 346.9mg potassium; 25.2g carbs; 34.9g protein