I never knew the awesomeness of breakfast tacos until I visited Austin, TX a couple of months ago, and man I’ve been missing out! My favorite (which I had twice in less than a week) was the Migas breakfast taco from Torchy’s Tacos. I think I’m just going to have to go back and try more tacos!
Corn tortillas apparently only come in ridiculously large packs (at least at my grocery store), so I’ve been trying out a few recipes using tortillas. We don’t often do a lot with breakfast, but these are easy and taste good!
I started with frying the cut up tortilla pieces by adding a little bit of vegetable oil to a pan and coating the pieces. I kept an eye on them and flipped them around periodically while making the eggs, making sure they didn’t burn.
I like creamy eggs – I think I’m in the minority on this among my friends and always get asked if my eggs are underdone. If you’re on my side here, beat the eggs and add salt and a bit of milk and let it stand while you’re prepping the other ingredients. I cooked eggs on low heat with the jalapeños and as it all started to cook, I pushed those parts around in the pan so it doesn’t get stuck.
At the end, when the eggs were almost fully cooked, I added the tomatoes and cheese and folded them into the egg-jalapeño mixture.
After the tortilla pieces were nice and crispy, I dumped them onto a paper towel to soak up the extra oil and briefly heated up the other tortillas in the same pan to get them warm.
To assemble them, I just split the egg mixture among the tacos, topped with scallions and the fried tortilla strips. I was supposed to add avocado too, but I forgot! Next time for sure.
Migas Breakfast Tacos
Servings: 2 (2 tacos each)
- 4 corn tortillas (I use extra thin tortillas)
- 1 corn tortilla, cut into strips
- 2 tbsp canola or vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tbsp milk (I use almond milk)
- 1 small Roma or plum tomato, diced
- 1/8 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- 1/4 jalapeño, diced
- 1/2 avocado, sliced lengthwise
- Scallions, chopped for garnish
- Optional: lime juice
- Heat oil in a small frying pan
- Meanwhile, crack the eggs into a small bowl and whisk
- Add salt and milk to the eggs and let them stand
- Heat a medium pan on low-medium heat and add cooking spray
- Add the tortilla strips to the frying pan from step 1 and flip them around periodically until they are slightly brown and crispy
- While the tortilla strips are frying up, add jalapeños and egg mixture to medium pan and cook eggs slowly for creamy texture
- As eggs cook and start to curdle, slightly scrape the cooked eggs from the bottom of the pan and continue to cook. Repeat several times
- When tortillas are crisp, dump them onto a paper towel to soak up some of the oil
- Briefly heat the remaining tortillas in the pan until they are warm
- Right before eggs are done cooking, add tomatoes and cheese and mix together
- Assemble tacos by spooning egg mixture into the middle of each tortilla and top with chopped scallions and sliced avocado. Add a squeeze of lime juice if you’d like
- Nom nom nom!
Estimated nutritional information (per serving of 2 tacos): 337 calories; 22.4g fat; 281.2mg cholesterol; 181.5mg sodium; 319.8mg potassium; 24.4g carbs; 14.1g protein